Sunday 3 June 2012

My thoughts 20 days before departure day!

You must think we are crazy and I don't blame you! We are packing up our worldly possessions and moving across a continent over 5-6 weeks of camping, visiting and site seeing with a two year old and 4 month old boys. More than just a trip though, we are leaving our home, family, friends and work, and moving to start a new life, build a new home and make new friends (and connect with the few family and friends we do have in Toronto).

So why again are we doing this? because it just seems to make sense to us, or at least it did when we first thought of the idea about a year ago.

This is not the first time that I leave an old life to begin a brand new one somewhere else. I first did this 12 yeas ago when I left Palestine to attend school in Norway. Back then, I was only 17 and I left my home, family, friends and everything I knew, and moved to Norway where practically everything was brand new to me. I knew absolutely no one in Norway, spoke little English and had no idea what I was really getting into ( like snow, fish cakes and -20 degree weather!!). However, I did know two things: 1- this was a beginning to a whole new life, and 2- I most likely will not live again in Palestine for a long long time.

Two years later I did it all over again. In 2002 I once again packed up all my life in one trusty suitcase and moved, this time a  cross the ocean and even further west, all the way to Canada. This time however I did have a few friends who were coming across the pond with me. I also spoke better English and had two more years of maturity and wisdom on me.  The journey was indeed easier and less stressful than the first time.

Back then, I knew that this again was a new beginning and I also knew that I wanted to make Canada my new home and that I probably will be here for a long while. 10 years later, I am a graduate of a Canadian university, married to a Canadian man, have a Canadian passport and two Canadian children. All were achieved while living in Vancouver. So, not only has Vancouver been my home in Canada for the past 10 years, it really simple has been my home for a decade and the place where the most significant and exciting milestones of my life have taken place. I will miss this city and its beauty and it will forever be an important place in my life and heart. Sometimes I am tempted to say I grew up in Vancouver, which is an odd thing to say seeing as I was almost 20 years old when I came here.  But in so many ways I did grow up in Vancouver and Vancouver will always feel to me as it does to someone who was born and did actually grow up here.

Now I am off again. This time, needing more than one suitcase, having acquired more than a couple of years worth of maturity and wisdom, and having a husband and children to share the journey with me. The feeling remains very similar though, one of both excitement and anxiety, anticipation and fear, happiness and sadness. Basically, just a roller coaster of emotions. But just like the two other times I did this, I move again knowing it is the best thing for me and my family and believing that everything will fall into place and all will be ok. It might be scary now that we are nearing the leaving date, but it will be amazing and I will not for a second regret the decision to move. This is truly the perfect time for us to do this and I am very glad we have summoned enough courage to go for it.

Now on to the practical details. A the moment we are beginning to slowly pack our life into boxes and suitcases, taking the time to see friends and family before we go, and trying our best to find a home for us and work for Ben (I am on mat leave until 2013) before we leave for the trip. While our hope is to have a home and work waiting for us, we fully expect to have to find both after we arrive in Toronto and are fully prepared for that scenario.

Here is where we will keep you all updated on our adventures and progress. As Ben said, if you do have any tips, advice or comments to share please do so. We would love to hear from you all.

Wish us luck!!
Haifa (aka sweets)


7 comments:

  1. Haifa my lovely, I can't wait to follow your journey. I know you'll all do great, and having - like you - done this a few time before I have all the faith in the world that things will fall into place for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The very best wishes for all of you - thinking of strawberry icecream sitting outside our house at Eri 10 years ago.

    We will follow your trip eastward - and are extremely happy that you are sharing your everydays and special happenings with us!

    Once agian - my very best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bente. I remember our strawberry icecream evenings at Eri very very fondly. Hoping we can make it to Norway next summer for my 10 uwc reunion and we relive that experience again (albeit this time with two little icecream lovers :P)

      Delete
  3. Auntie Gillian7 June 2012 at 15:29

    Dearest Haifa
    I am so going to miss you and Ben and Zaid and Owen at all our crazy family gatherings. I can honestly say it won't be the same without you guys..especially Zaid (just kidding but have I told you that I'm wildly crazy about that little guy!). It sounds like you are on the road to a wonderful adventure and I wish you happiness, excitement and success.
    Love you,
    Auntie Gillian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Auntie Gillian, we are too going to miss you and all the corteses very very much. We hope you can come visit us in Toronto.

      Love from all of us :)

      Delete
  4. You guys are going to love it here-- and we're going to love having you!!

    ReplyDelete