Tuesday 26 June 2012

Learning all about camping

When I wrote in my last post that I was prepared to embrace a little rain every now and then, I really meant a little and every now and then. I did certainly not mean buckets of rain most of the day every day. Furthermore, after experiencing camping for 3 straight days in rainy weather I have decided to take my statement back. I do not want to embrace rain. So weather gods I hope you are listening because from now on I am only willing to embrace lots and lots of sunshine every day for the next 5.5 weeks. Ok, now that that's out of the way, here is what I have learned after 3 straight days of camping, that also happens to be my first proper camping experience.

1- If you have a super active 2 year old boy, forget about doing any lounging anywhere on your supposed to be relaxing holiday. Instead you will be burning every calorie you eat running after him making sure he does not get hit by a car, drown in a lake or jump into a poison Ivy bush.

2- You will be amazed at how quickly your carefully cultivated fashion sense goes out the window. It took me less than one afternoon to be dressed like a homeless woman who's only concern is to be dray and warm. At some point I had on leggings under capri yoga pants, pink t-shirt under a red hoodie and a neon green rain coat on top of it all. I looked ridiculous and I did not care one tiny bit.  

3- You will consider yourself done up and ready for the day by simply brushing your teeth and putting deodorant on.

4- Everything you will eat will taste amazing, mainly because you are so hungry that you would eat anything.

5- You will consume food you considered disgusting before, like questionable water that you were told to boil for 2 minutes before drinking.

4- You will drink coffee that tastes like mint tea and mint tea that tastes like coffee, because you only have one cup and have to walk for 200 meters every time you need to wash it.

5- You will learn that if you are camping so high up in the mountains that you can still see snow on the ground, you really should wear warm socks and two layers of clothes to sleep, even if your sleeping bag says it;s good for -5 degrees.

6- You will have the best time ever sitting in the shallow water of the lake with you eldest son throwing rocks into the water for an hour, and you will continue to sit there even though you are freezing cold because you cannot say no to him when he asks so sweetly to "do it more please mama".

7- You will have your absolute worst moments when you are stuck in the front seat on the highway and your baby is in the back seat whaling because he is hungry or uncomfortable, and there is nothing you can do to make it better.


8- You are ready to do absolutely anything to help when your son asks you to "make all better mama".


9- You will go to bed so exhausted every night and wake up so happy every morning. 


10- And finally you will learn that as much as you enjoy this camping thing, nothing, and I mean nothing, tops a comfortable bed and a hot shower. 


All in all, its been great so far. Lots of ups and downs mirroring the fluctuating weather we have been seeing but still managing to end everyday in good spirit and a happy place. I am really enjoying this little break we are having in Kelowna, even though the rain seems to have followed us here too. Ben is telling me the weather is supposed to be getting dry and sunny for our next destination just outside of Vernon, which sounds great to me. 

Haifa 

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, those sleeping bag ratings lie!!! David and I are both a little jealous of your adventure at the moment, and can't wait to get out camping again. Maybe you guys will be up for a trip in the fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah we'd definitely love to go camping in the fall and also again in the summer. You can tell I'm now hooked :)

    ReplyDelete