Friday 22 June 2012

Last day in Vancouver


Today was our last day in Vancouver. We used the day to finish off last minute errands, do our laundry, and relax around the house with Ben's parents and siblings. In the evening Pete and Caroline hosted a dinner party for the extended family and it was very nice to have a chance to see and say goodbye to everyone.

The party made me think of my first introduction to Ben's extended family. On both sides, my first introduction happened over one of these large dinner parities. It is easy to feel overwhelmed when meeting ALL of your boyfriend's extended family at once, and I did feel that the first few times. I remember always hoping that Teresa, my sister in law who is the same age as me, will be coming along because that meant I will have someone to hang out with while Ben went off to chat with his cousins and uncles about sports and I was left alone to make polite chit chat with the aunties. This did not last long though. Very soon I started feeling comfortable around everyone and soon after that I just felt like a part of the family. Over time, I have actually grown to really enjoy those hectic crazy multifunctional parties celebrating whatever occasion happens to be relevant to the family during that month.

After Zaid was born, those gatherings became even more enjoyable to me. It was so great to watch Zaid interact with his great granparents, his dada's cousins, uncles and aunties. Some of Ben's little cousins are Zaid's age or a little older and over the past year or so they have become good friends. It has been an absolute pleasure watching him run around and play with his cousins so joyfully and excitedly. I will miss those gatherings. But I do look forward to holding similar evenings with my sister in law Colleen and her family in Toronto and see Zaid run around and play with his cousin Arden, brother Owen and his baby cousins who are expected in November.

Tomorrow we leave town early in the morning and our first destination is Manning Park. The weather is not expected to be super great but as long as it does not rain while we set up or take down the tent we should be ok. We have a very large tent and will be happy to cozy up inside it to read some books or play some board games, or even get out and enjoy a walk in the rain. From now on until the end of our trip we are determined to enjoy ourselves and make the best of any situation that faces us, and yes that includes me embracing rain and a little mess...every now and then :)

Cheers!
Sweets

No comments:

Post a Comment