Thursday 7 June 2012

16 Days Until Departure

Well it seems as if I may have had some inaccuracies in my memory of our cross-country trips when I was a child. After talking to my Dad, he informed me that the lake we went boating on was Lake of the Woods, by Kenora, not either of the two large Manitoba lakes.

There is also some debate about the picture of Auntie Gillian stomping on the sandcastle. After an exhaustive search of my parents photo albums I could not find the photo anywhere. Only after looking at my tiny photo album from my childhood did I find it. I present it here in all its 80s glory.
This is my Auntie Gillian on the left, in her surely fashionable for the time outfit and me watching on the right. This is clearly the Okanagan, and judging by my size, the timing fits for our trip from Vancouver to Toronto. I had thought that some of my mothers siblings had come with us for the first part of the trip before turning back. However, my mother believes this was taken during a different holiday before we had left for Toronto. Perhaps some Aunts and Uncles can help with the dating of this photo.

Best,

The Lobster

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm speechless. I seem to be having way more fun than you Ben. I did come and stay in Toronto with you on my own in the mid 1980s; I think this pic was taken then. I remember one day getting a sugar craving and finding nothing in your very healthy pantry...maybe this was taken after my trip to the corner store and a resultant sugar high!
    Auntie Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  2. This picture was taken in the summer of 1984 - the year before we went to Toronto. Teresa was a brand new infant and we went camping in Oosyoos - a private campsite near the US border. Do you remember, Gillian?

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete